World Kitchen Garden Day
. Monday, August 28, 2017
To celebrate World Kitchen Garden Day, we wanted to share with you our favourite 5-Must Have Herbs for your Kitchen:
- Basil - is one of the most popular kitchen herbs around the world! Known for it's anise-like flavour and intense clove-like aroma. Dried or fresh, Basil is great for cooking or for creating an invigorating atmosphere anywhere in your home.
- Chives - are much like other Alliums (garlic, onions, shallots). Growing Chives can help to drive away harmful insect pests like aphids and mosquitos from your garden. When ingested, Chives offer anti-inflammatory and digestive properties.
- Oregano - is a natural insect repellent. Oils distilled from from Oregano leaves can be used to treat respiratory maladies, digestive upset, parasitic infections including fungal infections, skin conditions including dandruff and psoriasis, muscle aches and joint pains.
- Peppermint - is an excellent deterrent for many kinds of pests including rodents, ants and spiders. Plant this pungent herb around your home and garden to keep harmful critters at bay. As a herbal remedy , peppermint tea can help to clear sinus congestion.
- Thyme - is a good source of antioxidant vitamin A which is beneficial to eye, skin, hair and nail health. Thyme is also anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibiotic. Sip Thyme-infused tea for an effective natural remedy against colds, coughs, and sore throats.