What a Gem!
. Monday, March 12, 2018
'Zanzibar Gem' (Zamioculcas zamifolia) is a beautiful type of cycad with thick, glossy green leaves. While Zanzibar Gem can be grown outdoors, it's most often seen as an almost un-killable indoor plant. It's been described as the ultimate indoor plant because of its tolerance to low light and lack of water.
- Zanzibar Gem will grow very happily in quite small pots.
- Choose a spot that is well lit but away from direct sunlight.
- Feed Zanzibar Gem occasionally in the growing season.
- Zanzibar Gem do not like wet feet so only water if the potting mix feels dry.
- Keep the leaves clean by wiping with a damp cloth.
- When a plant becomes crowded in the pot it can be split and divided.
- The sap of Zanzibar Gem is TOXIC and, if ingested, could make you unwell so, after dividing the plant, make sure you wash your hands with soap and water.
Enjoy adding this (Zanzibar) Gem to your home!